A lot of people have made a confusion about whether or not your cinnamon is real. Their claim is that Ceylon cinnamon is the only true cinnamon and that Cassia cinnamon is fake. so let’s identify what is true Cinnamon and Difference Between True Cinnamon and Cassia.
The Difference between True Cinnamon and Cassia
|Ceylon Cinnamon||Cassia (Chinese cassia)|
- In the case of ground cinnamon, it is very difficult to distinguish between the two, especially at sniffing spices.
- However, in the case of sticks, it is easier to differentiate between the two.
- Most bottled or packaged ground cinnamon does not mention its type or origin. Double check they are from Sri Lanka.
- Therefore, difficult to ascertain its type and origin or the country or plant.
- The best is to identify the sticks and make sure that you are buying the True Cinnamon from Sri Lanka.
- Once you get the real “True Cinnamon”, use your blender to crush it to powder.
Now, you have a good idea about, how to distinguish true Cinnamon, so you have to buy from a trusted source and the source that discloses harvest dates (freshness) as well as the type of cinnamon grades.
As a highly valued culinary and medicinal spice true Cinnamon prices can be up to 10 times more than the Cassia/Chinese cinnamon.
Shh! another news,
The researcher’s review
Both types of cinnamon have been studied for their health benefits.
In a 2012 study published in the “International Journal of Preventive Medicine,” diabetic patients were given 3 grams of an unspecified cinnamon supplement per week or a placebo.
At the end of eight weeks, the test subjects experienced improvements in blood sugar and triglycerides, and they lost weight compared with the placebo group.
A 2012 review article published in “Diabetic Medicine” examined 16 studies of Ceylon cinnamon specifically.
The researchers uncovered beneficial effects on diabetic complications, with no toxicity to the liver and kidneys. Toxicity might, however, be an issue for cassia.
Tell your family and friends about this real cinnamon, they’ll appreciate it!